Sunday, April 30, 2006

Construction Is Not For Wimps

For many years, I have thought that Habitat for Humanity was an organization that I wanted to get involved with, but working 10-12 hour days at my old job made it virtually impossible to do much about it other than wish for the time or the money to support the organization in a way that would be meaningful.

As a real estate agent, time is still an issue but it's more feasible than it was previously, to volunteer. So I have gotten involved with Habitat, and I'm so glad I did. I think I've mentioned before that affordable housing is a big issue with me, so I am glad to be in a position where I can help an organization I believe in work towards the goal of helping people own their own homes who otherwise wouldn't be able to.

I am working with the Site Selection/Construction committee and I am also taking the Cornerstone Training Class so that I can work as a team leader on job sites. Cornerstone Training basically provides an overview of construction techniques so that volunteers can work more effectively on job sites and also, so that they can provide leadership as needed to guide untrained volunteers as to how to perform their tasks safely and effectively.

My first day of Cornerstone Training opened my eyes up to several facts. One is, hammering a nail properly is not as easy as it looks. There is actually a right and a wrong way to do it, and all my life, I have been doing it wrong. The second thing I learned is that my fear of circular saws CAN be overcome, but I will need to work on my upper body strength if I'm ever going to be much use with one. They are heavy, and make my arms and wrist hurt. But I am still proud of myself for overcoming my fear of using one.

The third is, that working construction for 5 or 6 hours will really wipe you out if you are not used to it. I am still very sore today!

The last thing I learned is that there is a lot to know about construction, and I think it will help me in my job to have more of a ground-up understanding of how houses are built. I can already think of several things (for instance, why it matters which way you lay down a flooring joist) that I understand better now than I did before my first day of training. And the opportunity to learn about things you ordinarily might not, is one of the great things about volunteering.

No comments: