Monday, May 01, 2006

More on Volunteering

So, one of the big things I have wanted to talk about in here is some of the other organizations I have been getting involved with. One of the reasons I wanted to get into real estate is that it's the kind of job where you have the opportunity to be involved in the community. As I mentioned, I joined the Chamber of Commerce for Mukilteo, and also have been working with Habitat. I am pretty excited about both of those--I think the Chamber puts on some great events and obviously, Habitat is a great organization too.

The third thing I am excited about is the Mukilteo Lighthouse Festival. The Festival is basically Mukilteo's "Town Party" and it's an all volunteer event and a very big deal. Because it's all run by volunteers they basically need all the help they can get. So I told them that I would be willing to help out however I could--they took me up on it and now I am the "Sponsor Recognition Chair." Wow! You volunteer to help and you end up as a chairperson!

Okay, so really this is not that big of a deal. The first thing on my agenda is...THANK YOU NOTES! Later I'll be coordinating certificates and plaques for sponsors, and making sure everyone is recognized on signage and so forth. But it sounds impressive doesn't it, being a chairperson?

All joking aside, it's always amazing how many people it takes to make one of these things come together smoothly. I just have one little piece of it, and there are at least 20 other people who also are volunteering, and there is still more to do. It'll work out though...these things always do. Maybe not perfectly but the only people who ever notice the glitches are the ones running the show.

Anyway, next time you are at a festival or other volunteer-run event, think about how every single thing that you see requires someone to donate time or money to the cause. Most of the time, no one is getting paid to make sure things work out like they are supposed to, and of course, most of the time and effort people put into it has to be in addition to whatever the volunteers do for a living. Kind of amazing they run as smoothly as they do!

No comments: