Saturday, April 29, 2006

What I Did On My Mexican Vacation

In short, I did as little as possible.

Last Saturday, Eric and I left for a much needed vacation in sunny Los Cabos, Mexico. We spent most of our time curled up on a lounge chair in the sun drinking pina coladas and working on our tans. Or, in my case, working on my sunburn and future skin cancer, since I don't tan. Although it was later in the season than the last time we were there, for some reason I found the weather much more agreeable.

I should mention that last time we were there we got engaged, so the place has a special significance for us. I just love it there.

In addition to vegetating on the beach, we also went into town and did a little sightseeing. Being in real estate I couldn't help but be curious about what is going on with real estate in the area. There is a new development that is going in just north of San Jose called Puerto Los Cabos. They are building the development around a new marina which has already been dug. Should be nice. As far as the town itself, I find San Jose much more charming and fun to visit, as it is less overrun with American tourists and has the small town feeling of colonial Mexico.

The other new development that is going in down in Baja, which I think is going to be pretty cool, is in the town of Loreto about 300 miles north along the Sea of Cortez from Los Cabos. It's called Loreto Bay. Loreto was a colonial Spanish town which was the original seat of the California missions, and was also the original seat of government for Baja California until the provincial government was moved to La Paz, so there is a lot of history there.

One of the things I particularly like about Loreto Bay is that it is emphasizing sustainable development both from an environment as well as an economic and social development perspective. To me, this is really important, as these developments SHOULD, ideally, promote a better quality of life for the local residents and workers as well as those who buy homes there...unfortunately, they often don't. Development in Mexico often seems to occur willy-nilly without regard for the long-term effects on the environment or on the types of jobs created.

Also, Loreto Bay is attempting to create an Urban Village type environment which will be more oriented around walking than on driving. This is in contrast to Los Cabos where American car culture has definitely been transplanted and there isn't quite the infrastructure to sustain it. Also, bad for the environment and creates more people dependendent on fossil fuels.

So that's my little Mexico Real Estate report. One thing I have noticed is that in the real estate business, you are never really "on vacation." It's more of a busman's holiday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loreto is a fantastic town and the Loreto Bay Development Company looks to be doing an amazing job.

I have long been a warm water property owner (Puerto Penasco & San Felipe) but am now a dedicated ocean-side Baja guy.

Your last line is so true; I never get a vacation in Mexico. There's always a piece of dirt that...